What is SMS marketing?
SMS marketing stands for Short Message Service marketing. It is a permission-based text messaging that enables businesses to send text marketing messages to customers. In order to receive marketing text messages, customers are required to opt in to an automated system by texting a keyword to a shortcode.
For example, “Text PIZZA to 123456 for 30% coupon”.
In this example, the keyword is PIZZA and the shortcode is 123456.
The keyword is chosen by the business when signing up with a SMS marketing service. Short codes are abbreviated phone numbers that are 5-6 digits long designed for sending and receiving SMS messages on mobile phones.
Short codes are very expensive. Many SMS marketing services use the much cheaper shared shortcodes instead. Recently, all major US cell carriers such as Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile/Sprint, have announced banning the use of shared short codes.
After a user has opted in, a confirmation response is usually sent as receipt for opting in. The user’s phone number is then stored by an SMS marketing software. From now on, the business can send marketing text messages to the user.
What if you can bring in customers on demand
Imagine if you could alert hundreds or even thousands of people about your weekend specials at the touch of a button? What if you can tell hundreds of people about your dinner special during a slow day?
Do you think that you can bring in more sales for your business? Of course!
The goal of SMS marketing is to build a database of subscribers and notify them of any promo offers. SMS messaging is far more effective than email marketing because SMS messages are instant and has a 95% open rate.
Does text message marketing really work?
Take a look at these SMS Marketing Statistics below.
- 95% open rate compared to email of 16%
- FunMobility recorded a click-through rate of 36%, while email click-through rate remains at 3.4%
- 93% of messages being read within 3 minutes of delivery
- 80% (292 million) of Americans send text messages
- 73% of customers want to receive SMS messages from brands
- 89% of consumers prefer Text Messaging over phone calls
- 22% of text messages with value are forwarded on to friends and family
- Average redemption rate for a mobile coupon is 20%
- 39% of businesses already use text messaging
- Coca-Cola spends 70% of its mobile marketing budget on SMS services
- Kiehl’s Skin Care had 73% of their opted-in customers make a purchase following an SMS campaign launch
Why is SMS marketing effective?
- Almost everything is mobile now. Currently, over 5 billion people use a mobile phone
- With more mobile devices in hands, the effectiveness of SMS software is rising
- 73% of customers want to receive SMS messages from brands
- SMS messaging is instant with a high open rate of 95%
What is SMS marketing for:
- Offering discount Coupon
- Promoting a Sale
- Announcing New Products
- Sending Updates and Notifications
- Collecting Customer Feedback
Examples of effective marketing text messages:
Eg. “Take 30% OFF all pizza menu this weekend only”
Eg. “25% discount on haircoloring during month of July”
2. Online Review Requests
Eg. “We hope you had a great experience with us, we would appreciate if you could leave us a review. Link below”
3. Confirmations and upsell
Eg. “Thank you for your purchase, follow link below for accessories that may interest you.”
4. Service Updates
Eg. “Tom, your vehicle is now ready for pick-up.”
Benefits of SMS marketing:
- Since it is permission based, your SMS audience is extremely targeted
- It is a mass communication tool because almost everyone owns a mobile phone
- Instantly alert all your subscribers about your offer at the click of a button
- Text messaging is instant. People can receive your message in a matter of seconds
- Direct communication with customers and establish stronger personal relationship
- Reward existing customers while attracting new ones
- Customers can easily forward your amazing offer to friends and family
- Increase sales and foot traffic to your business
- Schedule the time and date of your promotions
- Constantly improve your marketing campaigns and give your subscribers what they want
- Easily track and measure which messages or promos are working well and which ones are not
- No spam filters or social media algorithms to block your SMS messages from reaching subscribers
- No need to pay for expensive Google ads or Facebook ads
We offer SMS marketing services to local business
SMS marketing is best for businesses which reply on repeat customers such as restaurants and hair salons. With the scheduling feature of SMS, you can schedule your SMS marketing campaigns for the whole month. This is a huge benefit as it enables you to manage your time efficiently and concentrate on your business.
Isn’t it time to jump onboard?
If you already have a loyal customer list, we can help to convert them to text communication. For businesses that have not built a customer list, you need to start getting current and potential customers to opt-in to your SMS communication list. It might require some promotional efforts and time to build up your list. No worry! We will provide flyer template and help you build the list so that you can start in the shortest time possible.
It is important to realize that there are strict guidelines from the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) regarding using SMS text messaging. Our SMS marketing system abides to all guidelines required by law so that you can concentrate on your business. Our SMS messaging system uses real 10-digit phone numbers. This enables you to have your own authentic number for sending or receiving SMS messages and build brand trust.
With 39% of businesses already use text messaging, the majority of businesses are still not taking advantage of SMS marketing. Is it time to jump onboard and stay ahead of your competitors? The answer is obvious!
If you want to be able to instantly alert hundreds of people about your offer without expensive advertising costs, contact us via our contact form or email us at email@example.com